Almost since its release date, people have wondered when they would see Destiny’s first DLC expansion, and what to expect from it. This could have something to do with how surprisingly little content the main game actually contained, and how quickly the story itself could be completed. Since that first week, players have had to content themselves with replaying the same maps and missions, in an attempt to finish leveling their characters.
Yes, Bungie has had its fair share of criticism leveled at it since Destiny’s release. The biggest questions most players have regarding the DLC, is how much of that will be addressed? On December 9th, Bungie will answer that with the release of The Dark Below, the game’s first official new content since release.
Bungie is very aware of fan reaction and feedback. President Harold Ryan had this to say about the DLC’s approach to storytelling: “What you’ll see in this expansion, it’s going to be a very different approach to telling a new story to players than the thematically-driven story from the original launch of the game. It’s going to feel much more loot driven and story driven in that it’s going to feel faster-paced with more action as you go through it, and with exposition.”
What else can you expect? Here is a brief run down:
- New level cap at 32, allowing players to level their character through 2 additional Light levels.
- New gear. New weapons and armor, including new legendary and exotics. The weapon pictured above is one example.
- 5 additional Bounty slots – no more abandoning Bounties to make room for more, especially if you’re carrying around one of the coveted and time consuming Exotic Bounties.
- New story missions, provided through a new merchant at the Tower named Eris, who will guide you through three new missions.
- New multiplayer PVP areas, including two close quarters combat maps called the Pantheon (a Vex temple within the Black Garden) and the Cauldron (a Hive ritual site that has been adandoned), and a vehicle map called Skyshock.
- A new cooperative Strike, The Will of Crota, against a new boss called Omnigul.
- a new 6 player Raid, Crota’s End, said to be just as challenging as the Vault of Glass and set in the Hellmouth.
- PlayStation players can also enjoy an exclusive Strike, The Undying Mind.
There will be no new planet in this DLC, although Bungie has not ruled it out for future DLC content. They are well aware of players’ desire for new areas. In the meantime, it sounds like “The Dark Below” will add several new things players can look forward to experiencing.